Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Global Urbanization with High Population Density and Higher PHPDT – Peak Hour Peak Direction Traffic necessitated the most efficient Urban Transport System “Metro Rail”
First Railway Journey in the world happened in 1804 in England and First Metro Rail appeared as Underground Rail in London in 1863. First Railway Journey in India started in 1853 in Mumbai and First Metro Line India started in Kolkata in 1984. Since then Mumbai Mass Suburban Railway System has been transplanted in other Indian Cities that could not elevate itself to the modern lifestyle and transportation experience expected by the people. Then came Delhi Metro commissioned in 2002 bringing the Metro Movement as Urban Transport Solution to Indian Metropolitan Cities so much so that now even Cities with less than 5 Million population are also taking the Metro Route.
So far, Operational Metro Projects in Indian Cities of Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Jaipur and Kochi are Government Projects, due to viability challenges and other reasons none of these projects are complete Private Sector with even Delhi Airport Metro Express now taken over by DMRC. Mumbai Metro is Public and Private JV while Gurgaon is Governments SPV ILFS not a regular Private Sector company.
Hyderabad Metro is coming up as Complete Private Sector investment by Indian Engineering Giant Larsen & Toubro which with its earlier Investment in Hyderabad Launched L&T Information City “Cyber Towers” in November 1998 that propelled Hyderabad into Top League of IT Destinations in India, now after 19 years it’s expected to launch Hyderabad Metro on 28th November 2017 with potential to Propel Hyderabad into Global City.
Hyderabad Metro has following first or Largest to its Credit:
- India’s and probably World’s Largest Single PPP Elevated Metro Project of 72 Km
- Being 100% Elevated Hyderabad Metro is Adding Elevated Hyderabad to the Ground Level Hyderabad following the footsteps of Global Cities Such as Tokyo, London, New York have Spread the City Vertically into 3 Layers (Ground, Under Ground, Elevated).
- Largest Intelligent Train System in India CBTC (Communications-based train control (CBTC), Continuous automatic train control system that is capable of Automatic Train Protection (ATP), optional Automatic Train Operation (ATO) and Automatic Train Supervision (ATS) that is technically it can lead to making it a Driverless Metro in near future should the legal and operational framework in India become available.
- Project Targets 50% Revenues outside of passenger fares by commercially leveraging the Space within the Station and additional large space provided by the State Government near to the major new Metro Stations where L&T is building 3 malls cum Multiplexes, Real Estate contributing to the 45% of planned revenues of the project, this also speaks for vibrancy of Hyderabad City Economy and innovative business model for sustainability with minimum possible impact on passenger fares and Tax Payer Money.
- Integrates Largest Station at Secunderabad and Largest State Bus Terminals at MGB and JBS enabling large scale Multi-Modal Transport for Hyderabadis
- All three lines have Interconnection for Easy Change Over effectively giving 1 direct plus 4 additional line extensions with one change for all Passengers
- Green Metro with 520,000 saplings planted and 2000 Tress Translocated
- Energy Efficiency could also become highest per Passenger-km with deployment of Sophisticated Regenerative Breaking System that instead of Wasting the Kinetic Energy while Breaking a Moving Train actually Reverses the Motors to Use the Energy to Generate Power and feedback while applying with entire corridor has dense station setup with frequency of Halts being high its claim of up to 35% Energy Saving and CO2 emissions is quite possible.
- All three lines taking the elevated route on the dense routes on which people travel in city buses and other modes makes it simple and easy option for travelers to change their mode of transport comfortably to Metro.
- Transform Hyderabad into People Friendly Green City
Global Lessons, due to large-scale investments involved in Metro Projects, Role of Government in the success of Metro Projects is Significant anywhere in the world. While Rich Countries with Large-Scale Tax Revenues could afford high costs, and drive the Metro Projects Scale and Penetration, developing countries find it quite hard and difficult to sustain the cost of Metro Setup and operation. Hence India needs to evolve its own PPP Model for Metro Projects that make both Government and Private Sector play to their strengths and compliments.
While India has opted already to get the Bullet Trains and its Technology from Japan it should also get the Japan’s Private Sector Railway’s Business Model which have propelled the Urban Transformation all over Japan with Regional Railways Providing Comprehensive Transport and Life Style Experience to the people by Creating New Townships with Shopping malls integrated into the Metro Rail Lines.
Central and State Governments also must review the lessons learnt from Phase 1 in-terms of delays and their potential impact to the Private Sector investor and examine how they could de-risk the Investor from such Risks as the approach should be to attract as much as possible private sector investments at the same time risks in which private sector has no influence must be addressed by the state and central governments adequately including the required public investments by the Government.
While Phase-1 has addressed the Core of inner City Transportation of Hyderabad further Phases should drive the Hyderabad City Geographical Growth leveraging Airport, and the ORR (Outer Ring Road) with Arterial Roads in all directions of Medchal, Shamirpet, Ghatkesar, Hayat Nagar, Shamshabad, Vikarabad, Patancheru etc.
Government of India, Releasing the New Metro Policy that is making component of PPP Mandatory augurs well for taking the Metro Implementations to the next level by Not only driving Transit Oriented Development but also to drive Development of Satellite Townships to decongest the Cities and Giving them Radian Wings to Expand Faster to Accommodate Young Aspirational India rising expectations on lifestyle and environment consciousness.
Metro is inevitable part to make any Big City in India Pollution FREE