Background of Andhra & Telangana
It is important for the readers to keep in mind below historical facts.
- Telangana as part of State of Hyderabad ruled by Nizam, got freedom and joined Indian Union only on 17th September 1948, thanks to the Home Minister of India and Deputy PM Sardar Patel decision to send Indian Army to defeat the Nizam’s private militia Razakar’s through Operation Polo.
- In 1952 Amarajeevi Sri Potti Sriramulu Sacrificed his life thru fast unto death fighting for share in the city of Madras as the Andhra state for Telugu people was already agreed (Note Telangana has ZERO connection with this fight) details here
- Hyderabad State existed from 1948 till 1956 for 6 years and
- Andhra state existed after separation from Madras with capital at Kurnool distinctly from 1953 to 1956 for 3 years
- Merger of Telangana Region of Hyderabad State with Andhra state was not with the consent of the then assembly of Hyderabad State. It is Govt of India decision as empowered by Article 3 of constitution of India.
- Releasing the SRC report in 1955, in Para 386, the Commission pointed out, “ After taking all these factors into consideration we have come to the conclusions that it will be in the interests of Andhra as well as Telangana areas to constitute into a separate State, which may be known as the Hyderabad State with provision for its unification with Andhra after the general elections likely to be held in or about 1961, if by a two thirds majority the legislature of the residency of Hyderabad State expresses itself in favor of such unification.” Hyderabad State reorganization Map from 1956 SRC is given below.
- GoI (Govt of India) negotiated “Gentlemen’s Agreement between Andhra and Telangana” before announcing the Merger of the two states. Find the full text here
- Constitution of India does not have any reference to language as the basis for the formation of any state, it is only governed by Article 3
Tyranny of Majority
Small list to illustrate how the Tyranny of Majority played out in the AP after merger with Andhra in 1956 for the people of Telangana:
- Immediately after state formation most of the Terms in the Gentlemen’s Agreement were disbanded by the very first Chief Minister of AP
- None of the 3 CM’s of State of AP (Sri P V Narsimha Rao, Sri T Anjiah, Sri M Chenna Reddy) from Telangana till date were allowed to complete their term (not even 2 year). Not get surprised that includes former Prime Minister of India who could complete full term heading a minority govt for India.
- Total of only 1,348 days in 20,805 days of existence of the state (mere 6.5%) time in 57 years that any originally a Telangana person could be the Chief Minister of the Andhra Pradesh, ZERO since last 22 Years! that includes the current phase of 12 years of strong democratic agitation.
- Telangana has lost the constitutional remedy to seek its allocation of waters of the Gifted Godavari and Krishna River waters with the merger, as in our constitution a region of a state has no locus standi in the water tribunal or in any court and 3.5 crore people in Telangana are deprived of any constitutional and judicial remedy for the water utilization from the South India’s Top 2 rivers Godavari and Krishna running through in their backyard, it is because intra-state is purely the subject of state government . The tragedy is within the state the might of the majority region through CM, numerical strength in assembly, Govt Bureaucracy and the media prevails.
- Rivers Krishna and Godavari traverse through Telangana and Seema- Andhra regions. The catchment area of these basins of Krishna and Godavari in Telangana and Seema-Andhra are 68.50% and 31.5 %; and 79% and 21.0 % respectively. While Telangana gets about 2 Lac Acres Canal Irrigation vs about 15 Lacs Acres of Canal Irrigation in Andhra. Refer Sri Krishna committee report Chapter 4 (Figure 4.4, 4.5 & 4.6)
- Promises Betrayal and Repression – The Saga of Telangana gives good insight of the real story of struggle of Telangana people.
- The level of resistance, and “by all means oppose” attitude adopted by Anti Telangana forces expose, all of above was real and the resistance is natural, for any human does not voluntarily forego the undue benefit enjoyed for 57 years, that makes one believe it to be birth right, while the fact was, not quite..
The Five Questions to Anti Telangana Parties, Leaders, Activists & People
- Do you abide by the constitution of India and the Article 3 ?
- If yes, What are the constitutional reasons of people of Seemandhra origin living anywhere in the world, to oppose the de-merger of failed merger of Andhra state with the Hyderabad Telangana in 1956, as decided by Cabinet of GoI to grant statehood to Telangana with Hyderabad as the capital (#The29thState)?
- What are the constitutional rights other than the desire to rule Telangana that the state of Telangana takes away from any Seemandhra person or any Indian for that matter?
- What legal assets of any Indian can Telangana State or any state can take away?
- Which state Govt has any say in any private employment opportunity? then, whats the irrelevant argument of losing job opportunities in Hyderabad or Telangana or anywhere in India, when over 80% are employed in Pvt sector.
Lessons to India from Telangana
- India stands for Unity in Diversity respect it.
- Do not play with emotions, respect identities, respect diversity, protect and support them
- No State can take away any Constitutional Right of Indian, Makes no difference to Citizen a fact to be told
- State is part of decentralization of Governance and bringing governance closer to the people.
- No state can take away any legal asset of any Indian.
Say No to Language Chauvinism
Say No to Tyranny of Majority
Our Jati is Bharat
Our Religion is India
Our Holy Book is Constitution of India.
Jai Telangana, Jai Andhra, Jai Rayalaseema