Further to my yesterdays post on Why Telangana? What was Tyranny of Majority?
I now wish to place my view on Hyderabad
Let me begin by saying any Indian, Language, Community or Region can ever claim that we developed Hyderabad. It’s the mother earth on which the city exists forever rest all are mortals.
Below will dismiss the claim Hyderabad has grown faster after 1956 merger with Andhra as the evidence is not supporting it.
Hyderabad as is shown below in the 1931 census by British as the 4th Largest Indian City and the fact is its 6th Largest Indian city now as per 2011 census.
My personal view Hyderabad actually had its ups and downs during this period but overall it just did like other 2 metros in South India Chennai and Bangalore and it would continue to do so, as its to do with the very location and what Hyderabad offers to humanity from all over the world.
Rayala seema people have made more contribution and have closer affinity even to-day with both Bangalore and Chennai and rightly so and the Nellore and Chittor people continue to have their affinity and association with Chennai again for good reason, neither the language or being other state can ever stop that and it should not.
In previous article it was already pointed out clearly the claim Amarajeevi Sri Potti Sriramulu Garu put through his precious life was for a fair share in the then city of Madras (now Chennai) not the Telugu state of Andhra that was already agreed in principle. However, and rightly so the emotions and supreme sacrifice could not prevail over physical geographical reality and to-day India is glad that it did that way.
In this article I wish to share the following content solely from below source on Mumbai.
- The Samyukta Maharashtra movement to create a separate Maharashtra state including Bombay was at its height in the 1950s.
- In the Lok Sabha discussions in 1955, the Congress party demanded that the city be constituted as an autonomous city-state.
- The States Re-organisation Committee recommended a bilingual state for Maharashtra–Gujarat with Bombay as its capital in its 1955 report.
- Bombay Citizens’ Committee, an advocacy group of leading Gujarati industrialists lobbied for Bombay’s independent status.
- Following protests during the movement in which 105 people were killed by police, Bombay State was reorganized on linguistic lines on 1 May 1960.
- Gujarati-speaking areas of Bombay State were partitioned into the state of Gujarat.
- Maharashtra State with Bombay as its capital was formed with the merger of Marathi-speaking areas of Bombay State, eight districts from Central Provinces and Berar, five districts from Hyderabad State, and numerous princely states enclosed between them.
I was glad to note as per the 2011 census the % of Gujaratis in Mumbai seem to have went up not down since 1960, and I fully believe even for Hyderabad the influx will increase not decrease in future.
So the lesson that Mahatma’s soul keeper Sri Rajagopalachari left during Andhra state separation and later the unfortunate violent fight that preceded the separation of Maharastra with Mumbai and Gujarat in 1960 left is this :
Capital City is determined by the mother earth not by people or emotions and I hope the wisdom comes to the leadership in Congress and Govt of India and initiates the process of consultation on naming capital city of residual AP in the Telangana State Bill to be introduced in parliament before it leaves its office..(hopefully it lives to its promise..)
Its a bad idea and has no precedence for any state to have its capital outside its geography away and in center of other state geography till date, on top of it in the same location as the capital of the hosting state.
- It would be unfortunate case of Government of India by design introducing the division in the people of the city that never existed till date, all living in Hyderabad are proud Hyderabadi Indians.
- It will deny the time and opportunity for the Residual AP state to move forward faster
- Distance the people of residual AP from its elected representatives and Govt machinery
- With fuel costs raising rapidly and energy sources depleting travel has to be minimized moving forward not increased.
- Governance has to move closer not keep it far from people.
In summary the wisdom lies to let Residual AP have transition capital arrangement for the period of max 10 years in Hyderabad and name the capital city of residual state of AP from the day 1 so that confusion ends people and states get on with life and take charge of their destiny.